These Keto Pierogies using Fathead Dough are just as satisfying as the real thing, but without the carbs and gluten! I used a cheesy cauliflower puree inside, but these low carb pierogies can be filled with almost anything and they will be delicious!
Pierogies (also Pirogi or Pierogi) are Eastern European dumplings that are traditionally filled with mashed potatoes, onions, cheese, sauerkraut, ground meat, or even fruit. They are typically boiled and then served with butter, sour cream and/or fried onions.
The best Pierogies I’ve ever had were made by our friend’s mother Katherine, who was German. She taught me how to make them (though mine were never as good as hers) and getting invited to her house to eat them was a real treat. Her version had a filling of potatoes and cheese and she served them with browned butter. They were simple and delicious.
My Keto Pierogies using Fathead Dough can’t compare to hers, but they are definitely as satisfying as the store-bought ones at least. Mr. Hungry and I would eat the store bought pierogies for dinner at least once a week when we were first married because they were easy and cheap!
These Keto pierogies are a little more labor intensive, but it’s so totally worth the time involved to be able to eat pierogies on a Keto diet! My preferred way to serve pierogies is always with caramelized onions cooked in butter so that’s what I did with these low carb pierogies as well. It was awesome!
I don’t preboil these Keto Pierogies using Fathead Dough because I really don’t think they need it and I didn’t want to risk them falling apart. Just sautéing them in the butter and onions for about 3 minutes per side turns them golden and crunchy on the outside, while they remain soft and slightly chewy on the inside.
When you’re in need of comfort food without the carbs, these low carb pierogies definitely fit the bill!
In other news:
My Keto cookbook due out sometime in the Spring is going well and I have only 9 recipes left to shoot! It’s been a long process and we have a lot more work to do for the book to be complete, but I’m very excited about how it is turning out so far and I hope you guys will be too!
Also, I’ve finally tested some new fall themed recipes to share with you here on the blog and will be posting more consistently now that the bulk of the book is complete so stay tuned for those! I’ve missed you guys!!!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
- 2 cups super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 cups shredded full fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup , chilled or at room temperature
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and butter in a medium bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir, then microwave another minute.
- Stir until fully combined and cool for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the egg and egg yolk until combined.
- Add the almond flour and stir with a large spoon until combined.
- Turn out dough onto smooth surface (or parchment paper) and knead until a semi-stretchy dough is formed. (if the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon or more of almond flour until workable)
- Divide the dough into 12 equally sized balls.
- Press each ball into a disk about 4 inches around.
- Combine the Cheesy Cauliflower Puree and dried onion flakes and mix well.
- Place about 1.5 tablespoons of room temperature Cheesy Cauliflower Puree onto one half of each disk, leaving a half inch border to seal.
- Fold the dough over the filling and pinch to seal.
- Chill 10 minutes or freeze until ready to use (if cooking from frozen, thaw first)
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add 6 of the pierogies to the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side or until the dough has turned golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the remaining 6 pierogies the same way.
- Serve warm with the onions and butter over the top.