Staying healthy requires a sensible eating plan that includes a varied diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fat. Luckily, there is lots of room for choice and personal preference in a healthy eating plan.
A healthy diet does not have to be bland or time-consuming to prepare – chicken to the rescue! According to the USDA Food Guide Pyramid, a total of five to seven ounces a day of foods from the meat group (meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs and nuts) supplies protein for building and maintaining muscle, iron for healthy blood and other essential vitamins and minerals.
As one of the most versatile meats, chicken is easy to prepare and well-suited for a variety of tasty recipes. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs can go from refrigerator to table in about 15 minutes. In addition, the fat content of a three-ounce skinless portion of whole roasted chicken is less than half of beef and about one-third of pork, and most fat in chicken is unsaturated, which can actually help lower blood cholesterol.
Boneless skinless split chicken breasts are a good staple to have in your refrigerator. They are marinated to give consumers the most tender, juicy chicken possible. They are also simple and easy to prepare, and provide a good base for many recipes. Plus, they are less than 100 calories each.
Healthy, Nutritious Dinner with Garlic
The options for adding flavor to your dinner without adding fat are limited only by your imagination. Enhancing the flavor of your chicken with herbs and spices, flavored vinegars, wines, soy sauce and citrus juices. Cooking methods such as boiling, roasting, grilling or poaching help avoid added fat. If you want to saute your chicken, use a non-stick pan or non-stick cooking sprays to eliminate the need for oil or butter. You can also try sauteing in a small amount of chicken broth, which adds flavor.
Here is an easy-to-prepare, healthy, nutritious dinner entree that uses roasted garlic herb marinated chicken breasts. Prep time is ten minutes and completion time is 25 minutes, which means you can serve a delicious, healthy meal in just over half an hour.
Roasted Chicken Breasts
- 10-ounce package of GoldenPlump Marinades boneless skinless chicken breast fillets, roasted garlic herb flavor
- One, 15-ounce can chili beans in chili sauce
- One, 15-ounce can black beans
- One, 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One, 11-ounce can mexicorn (corn, red and green bell peppers)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Eight flour tortillas
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place small amount of oil in skillet; add chicken breasts and cook for 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 minutes per side, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Slice cooked chicken into half-inch cubes.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, add cubed chicken, chili beans, black beans, diced tomatoes and mexicorn.
- Simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.