Spring has sprung and these scrummy keto lemon sour cream muffins (cake tho, right?) are the perfect way to celebrate! Tender lemon muffin base (seriously, it’s tiny cake people – just keeping it real) with a crunchy streusel topping and a sweet and tart lemon glaze – it’s everything you’ve ever wanted a in a low carb muffin! #butreally #itscake
As most of you know by now, I live on an island in Belize where the weather is perpetually summer-like. The temperatures here range from HOT most of the year, to spontaneous combustion is imminent if you’re outside more than 5 minutes in August. ☀️ ? ?
So it’s not easy for me to get in the mindset of “yay, Spring!” like it used to be when I lived in New York and froze half the year.
Keto Lemon Sour Cream Muffins Recipe
Still, I got very excited when out of the blue, lemons showed up on the island about a month ago. ?? ? ? ? ?
They don’t have yellow lemons here usually – it’s all limes all the time in Belize. Which I’m OK with for the most part. But this time of year still means lemon and strawberry (I scored some of those too, new recipe later this week, Woot!) flavored everything to me – so I bought a huge bag of them.
I was amused by the cashier’s obvious confusion – first at the weird yellow limes, and second that I was buying at least 20 of them! ? I couldn’t wait to get started cooking lemon flavored everything – the only problem was that I was leaving for the states for 3 weeks and had no time to use them before they went bad…
So I froze them out of desperation, which I’d never done before.
I was terrified that they’d be ruined when I got home from our trip – but it worked great! As an added bonus, when I thawed and cut them in half to juice them with my hand-held citrus crusher thingy, it was easy to get every last drop out of them – much more so than when they were fresh.
The moral of this story is that if you have more lemons then you can use – you can totally freeze them whole and thaw them as needed! I even zested them with no problems! ?
So, long story long – against all odds I was able to get lemons in Belize and I made you these keto lemon sour cream muffins with them. And THEY ARE GOOD. SO. GOOD.
The Easiest Keto Lemon Sour Cream Muffins
Don’t be intimidated by the multiple steps in these keto lemon sour cream muffins either – the muffin portion is made in the blender so it’s super easy, and the streusel topping is mixed with a fork in a bowl, as is the easy lemon glaze. There is lemon juice and/or zest added to every component, so it’s sooooooper lemony people – in the best possible way.
You might be wondering why the sour cream. It’s an honest question. I wasn’t sure about it myself, but I used to order an amazing lemon sour cream pound cake years ago, and it was so very tasty that I thought I’d try it in these keto lemon sour cream muffins.
The sour cream made the muffins very tender, super-rich, and the tart cream flavor really complimented the lemon. I’m hooked, and you will be too!
I made these both as muffins and as mini loaves, to see if it would bake up ok both ways. It totally did, and I’m on the fence about which way I liked it more. Both tasted the same, but I liked being able to just slice off a small piece of the loaf without committing to an entire muffin.
That being said, my muffins were pretty large – so if you make them average sized then you’ll probably be getting about the same amount either way.
The point is – you can make these keto lemon sour cream muffins in almost any format and they will be great. I’m including baking times for multiple sizes in the instructions, but please be aware that ovens and cooking times may vary. Bake it until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and you’ll be in business.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated erythritol sweetener **
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup superfine almond flour **
- 1/2 cup coconut flour **
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup superfine almond flour **
- 3 Tbsp erythritol sweetener **
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners style erythritol **
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all of the muffin ingredients in a blender and blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- The mixture is thick so you’ll have to stop a few times and scrape the sides down with a silicone spatula to get it going the first minute or so.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and then start your streusel topping.
- Combine the melted butter, almond flour, sweetener, lemon zest and coconut flour in a small bowl and stir well with a fork until a crumbly dough forms.
- Spoon the muffin batter from the blender into 8 large or 12 regular muffin cups – or into a small loaf or cake pan.
- Crumble the streusel topping in pea sized pieces over the top of the batter.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (large muffins) or 25 minutes (average sized muffin) or 50 minutes (loaf or cake pan) OR until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the erythritol and lemon juice in a cup or small bowl. Stir with a fork until smooth.
- If too runny, add another Tbsp of erythritol (or more) until an opaque but still pourable glaze forms.
- If too stiff to pour, add another tsp of lemon juice to loosen.
- Pour the glaze over the muffins after they are baked and slightly cool. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Hurrah! Your delicious Keto Lemon Sour Cream Muffins are ready! Just enjoy it!