Teriyaki Beef is a classic Asian dish that is insanely popular for its salty / sweet flavor profile and tender chunks of grilled or sautéed beef. This Keto Teriyaki Beef on a Stick recipe has all of the flavor and none of the sugar of the original, making it a great low carb option for your grill this summer! You can use the same sauce with chicken or shrimp too!
Their version was deep fried, which I may still attempt at some point, but since most people feel more comfortable grilling their beef skewers I figured we’d go with that for this Keto Teriyaki Beef on a Stick. But if you want to try deep frying them let us know how it goes!
You may be wondering why I didn’t thread some zucchini, onions, or bell peppers on the skewers… Well I’ll tell you! The beef on the skewers cooks rather quickly, so if you add chunks of veggies to the same skewer it’s likely that the beef will be overcooked by the time the veggies are grilled to your preference.
So generally, while a skewer of meats and veggies looks really colorful and pretty together, I prefer to skewer the meat on it’s own (unless it’s something really thin like the scallions I used here) and make separate skewers of whatever veggies I want to serve.
That way I can cook both the meat and the veggies perfectly every time. #protip
I used one pound of beef for this Keto Teriyaki Beef on a Stick recipe, which makes 4 servings at 4 oz per person. You can multiply this recipe easily for larger groups – just remember 4 people per pound of beef as an appetizer, 2 people per pound for a main meal.
Since this sugar free Teriyaki sauce tastes great with everything, you can also substitute chicken, shrimp, or even pork in this Keto Teriyaki recipe with excellent results!
Finally, while I love the extra layer of flavor the grill gives these Keto Teriyaki Skewers, you don’t need a grill or even skewers to make this recipe! You can marinate and then saute the bite size pieces of beef (or other protein) until cooked through, then add the remaining marinade back to the pan and cook it down for a couple of minutes to make a sauce.
For a complete Keto meal, simply serve it over cauliflower rice or with any Asian inspired veggie side of your choice!
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my FREE low carb and keto menu plans and lose the weight for good!
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into strips or cubes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or other light oil)
- 2 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce (tamari)
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned (sugar free) rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp erythritol granulated sweetener
- Combine the sesame oil, avocado oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sweetener in a medium bowl.
- Add the beef pieces and stir to coat.
- Marinate for at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Remove beef from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the grill if using.
- Divide the meat into four portions (reserve the marinade) and thread onto four skewers along with optional pieces of green onion.
- Grill beef skewers over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until desired doneness is reached.
- Cook the remaining marinade in the microwave for 2 minutes, or in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes until fully cooked.
- Pour sauce over skewers before serving with sesame seeds as garnish if desired.