This easy keto chicken shawarma just needs some time to marinate in the tasty spice paste and then it’s grilled or roasted and you’re ready to eat! Loaded with bold flavors, this is our new favorite keto chicken recipe! Bonus points for being dairy free, Paleo and even Whole 30 compliant! ?
Ok so full disclosure, this isn’t truly a shawarma because it isn’t cooked on a rotisserie and shaved off to order like the traditional version. That being said, the flavors in the marinade are pretty on point, and I don’t think you’re going to mind that this easy keto chicken shawarma is grilled or roasted instead of turned on a spit!
It’s juicy, and flavorful, and oh so delicious!!!
Shawarma is traditionally served on some kind of bread like a pita, which of course was out for keto – unless you want to serve it on a low carb tortilla.
I served my easy keto chicken shawarma with the rest of the usual suspects – my tahini sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, some cauliflower couscous (recipe to be posted soon), and a little arugula thrown in for color.
Being completely honest here – we legit never missed the bread! And I don’t think you will either!
If you enjoy Middle Eastern flavors like cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, paprika, etc. then you’re going to LURV this easy keto chicken shawarma! We grilled ours, but you could just as easily pan fry or roast your chicken and get excellent results as well. Just be sure not to overcook it!
This keto chicken shawarma recipe is only moderately spicy as is, but you can adjust the cayenne pepper amount in either direction to get the heat to your liking.
To up the fat content, you could absolutely make this easy keto chicken shawarma with boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts – I just couldn’t get them here in Honduras.
Easy Keto Chicken Shawarma Recipe Video
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste if desired
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and turn to make sure it’s completely coated.
- For most flavorful results, marinate overnight – otherwise 2 hours will do it.
- Preheat the grill to 500 degrees F.
- Cook the chicken on the grill over direct heat, for about 4 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 160 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes (it will continue to cook.)
- Slice and serve with the tahini sauce and side dishes of your choice.
- Combine all of the tahini sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir well until smooth.