Wrapping pork tenderloin in more pork may seem redundant but you’ll realize quickly after this dish starts baking what an impact the bacon wrap has on the overall flavor. In addition to the added flavor, the bacon helps keep the pork moist on the inside. Serve this with your favorite steamed vegetables and Cauliflower Mash.
- FOR THE RUB: 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- FOR THE LOIN: 2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 to 12 bacon slices
- TO MAKE THE RUB: In a medium bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE LOIN: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Trim any excess fat or silver skin (a thin layer of connective tissue) from the pork. Coat the pork with the olive oil.
- Liberally apply the rub to the pork, covering the entire loin. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, lay out the bacon pieces side by side. Place the pork in the center of the bacon strips. Starting at one end, pull the edge of the bacon up and over the tenderloin diagonally. Repeat with the other side of slice, crossing it over the first side. Repeat the process with the remaining bacon slices as you go. Secure with toothpicks as needed.
- Put the bacon-wrapped pork in a baking dish and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 300°F and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat to check the temperature. Once it reaches 135°F, increase the heat to broil and crisp the bacon for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the oven. Cover with aluminum foil. Allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes so the juices set.
- Slice and serve with your preferred sides.