This Keto Hasselback Chicken is stuffed with sliced capicola and provolone cheese, then doused with a tangy pepperoncini cream sauce. Absolutely as delicious as it sounds, you’re going to want to put this tasty keto chicken dinner in your regular rotation!
I’m a little late posting this keto hasselback chicken recipe because we’ve been in an endless loop of power outages and internet outages this week. Such is life on an island in Central America. Usually I can roll with it, but it was getting to me this week because 1) it’s HOT and no power means no air conditioning, and 2) I need to shoot 15 recipes a week from now until the first week of July to meet my deadline for the new Squeaky Clean Keto cookbook that I’m working on. No power and no A/C means no cooking in my kitchen, which also doesn’t have an exhaust fan to vent any heat created by the stove.
I’m dreaming of a kitchen remodel, but work just started on our NEW POOL which is extremely exciting, but wiped out our renovation budget until next year – so kitchen updates will have to wait, and I’ll have to make do for now. I know, cry me a river right? Just keeping it real – it’s not all beaches and cocktails here in Roatan. Sometimes it’s stressful and the lack of efficiency when I’m on a deadline is maddening. Especially for a type A planner like myself. But anyway, I digress…
Let’s get back to real reason you’re here – this truly sublime Keto Hasselback Chicken! Hasselback is usually a term that refers to the popular way of preparing potatoes – slicing them almost all the way through and then baking them – sometimes with a tasty and cheesy filling inside.
I ditched the potato and used chicken instead, but it’s still tasty and cheesy! Super easy, this Keto Hasselback Chicken recipe is baked on a sheet pan, and the sauce is made in the microwave in just a minute or two. Don’t be intimidated by the slicing and stuffing – it’s literally as easy as a few passes with a sharp knife and 2 minutes of tucking your meat and cheese into the cuts. Then bake and serve.
As flavorful as this delicious Keto Hasselback Chicken is on its own, the pepperoncini cream sauce is the real star of the show in my opinion! So easy to make, the briny and slightly spicy pepperoncini brightens the creamy sauce and perfectly complements the tangy saltiness of the capicola and provolone.
If you can’t get or don’t love this meat and cheese combo, you can absolutely substitute prosciutto, salami, or even sliced deli ham in a pinch. Same with the cheese, feel free to mix and match based on your mood and flavor preferences!
The pepperoncini cream sauce will go well with pretty much any meat and cheese combo in this Keto Hasselback Chicken recipe.
To finish this Keto Hasselback Chicken off, I garnished it with some fresh chopped basil. You can omit it or replace it with Italian parsley instead, but as a fan of fresh herbs to enhance pretty much any recipe, I recommend one or the other for best results, and to cut through the richness. Some additional chopped pepperoncini is also a great idea if you’re feeling extra. ??
Keto Hasselback Chicken Recipe Notes:
If your chicken breasts are really thick, you may have to cook them a few minutes longer to get them done – it’s always best to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness when in doubt. 165 degrees is what you’re aiming for, or until the meat in the center is no longer pink.
You can substitute cream cheese for the mascarpone if you must, but be aware that it will change the flavor profile because cream cheese isn’t as neutral in flavor as the mascarpone cheese. The mascarpone is my hand’s down preference if you have both options available to you.
It takes a minute or two to get the mascarpone and butter to blend – it may seem like it never will… and then suddenly – creamy perfection. You’ll need an actual whisk to get the best consistency and be sure to whisk it in a large enough bowl to be able to really whip it. It’s not hard, but a lot of people seem to have trouble with this step in my other sauces – it just takes persistence for a minute or two – and it’s worth it I promise!
As mentioned above, you can substitute almost any cured meat and cheese in this keto Hasselback chicken.
Ham & Cheddar
Bacon & Brie (start with raw bacon)
Proscuitto & Parmesan
Pepperoni & Mozzarella
Salami & Asiago
??? Let us know in the comments if you’ve got more suggestions!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each)
- 3 ounces capicola (hot or sweet) (can also use salami or proscuitto)
- 3 ounces sharp provolone cheese (or asiago or mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped pepperoncini, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil (or parsley,) for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the chicken breasts of any fat or gristle, then make slices 3/4 of the way through the top of each breast, about 1 inch apart. Number of slices will vary depending on the size of each chicken breast.
- Pour the olive oil onto a medium sized sheet pan and add the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Drag each chicken breast through the olive oil and seasoning mixture on both sides until fully coated, and then place on the sheet pan with the slices facing up.
- Cut the capicola slices in half, and slice the provolone cheese into thin strips.
- Place one piece of cappicolla and a strip of provolone into each of the slices you made in the chicken breasts (see photo in the post above.)
- Once all of the breasts are stuffed, bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through (no longer pink inside and/or shows 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.).
- Remove chicken from the oven and transfer to plates or a serving platter.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese and butter in a medium sized bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Whisk vigorously together until smooth – this may take a minute or two, keep at it.
- Stir in the pepperoncini and salt.
- Serve warm over the chicken and garnish with basil and more pepperoncini if desired.