Keto fresas con crema is a keto riff on a classic Mexican dessert, strawberries with cream. Mexican crema is slightly sweetened and layered with macerated strawberries for a light and refreshing no-bake keto dessert.
All month long we’ve been celebrating the month of love with recipes inspired by the language of love.
That’s Spanish, for those of you who may not know what I’m referring to.
So far, we’ve made ground chicken tacos, adobo chicken, adobo chicken chili, and Mexican style rice.
Today, we’re taking off our savory aprons and putting on the sweet aprons.
Hispanics are famous for many desserts we all love like flan and tres de leches cake but I wanted to go really classic with this recipe.
After a little research on authentic hispanic desserts, I settled on a keto fresas con crema.
Fresas con crema, which translates to strawberries with cream, is a very traditional Mexican dessert.
It’s a popular street vendor food in Mexico but also an easy homemade snack that many enjoy from home year round.
Fresas con crema may sound like nothing special but let me tell you that it is out of this world delicious! I am sure it will become one of your favorite new summertime treats!
This Keto Fresas Con Crema Will Be Your New Favorite Dessert
And this is why:
- No baking, cooking, or chill time required (that means you eat faster!)
- Light and refreshing treat
- Sweet enough to curb a sweet tooth
- Perfect for picnics or lunch boxes
- Kid approved
- Low carb guilt free treat
- Looks super cute in small glass jars
- Tasty treat to use up your summer strawberries
Making Your Own Keto Fresas Con Crema
Traditionally, fresas con crema is made with sweetened condensed milk, Mexican cream, and sugar.
You will typically find Mexican Crema in the refrigerated section with other Hispanic products like queso, raw tortillas, and salsa.
It’s fantastic on top of tacos and nachos as it’s very similar in taste to sour cream. It’s also a relatively inexpensive ingredient so there’s no worry about having to shell out a bunch of money on a speciality item.
To make this classic Mexican dessert sugar free, I omitted the sweetened condensed milk and substituted sugar with my favorite monkfruit sweetener.
A simple mixture of crema, cream cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, and monkfruit is all it takes. Well, plus your strawberries!
The cream cheese adds a little more texture to the crema that would be missing from the condensed milk.
Layer the diced strawberries in little glass jars or bowls alternating with the crema mixture. So easy but so cute!
What Does Keto Fresas Con Crema Taste Like?
This keto fresas con crema (strawberries with cream) is a sweet, light, and refreshing Mexican inspired dessert.
Keto fresas con crema is just as perfect for dessert at the end of a nice meal as it is a snack after school.
If you’re not familiar with Mexican cream, or crema, it is similar to sour cream or plain yogurt but without the zing. It’s also zero carb, unlike sour cream or yogurt.
The cream mixture is slightly sweet and enhanced with vanilla and a dash of cinnamon.
I would say it is a cross between whipped cream, mousse, and no-bake cheesecake.
The hint of cinnamon really takes this treat over the edge, if you ask me!
Simply put: my keto fresas con crema is just delectable!
Are Strawberries Keto?
Short answer: yes.
The berry family (strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries) are all the lowest carb fruit options you have when following a ketogenic diet, falling around 6 net carbs per 100 grams.
Since fruit is high in fructose (glucose), we need to limit the amount of fruit we eat in order to stay in ketosis.
Remember that ketosis is a metabolic state in which the body burns fat for energy instead of glucose. If we give our bodies too much glucose, we may not stay in ketosis. Everyone’s body has a different threshold for how much glucose they can withstand and maintain ketosis.
So when it comes to strawberries, like in this recipe, enjoy them guilt free while being mindful of your carb intake for the remainder of the day!
Here Are Some More Keto Mexican Recipes You May Like:
- 1 pound strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup Mexican Crema (I used the Olè brand)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons granular monkfruit (I use this)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dice the strawberries into small pieces. Add to a small bowl and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the monkfruit on top. Stir to coat and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, add the crema, cream cheese, and remiaing 4 tablespoons of monkfruit. Use a hand mixer to mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Add a layer the crema mixture in a small glass jar or bowl then top with some of the strawberries. Repeat layers until all jars are filled.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.