Today we are upping our low carb Jalapeño Popper game with these incredible Chicken Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers that are inspired by one of my favorite appetizers here in Belize! Cheesy, Spicy, Chicken-ey, Goodness!
Here in San Pedro, Belize there are a TON of restaurants. Lots of traditional Belizean cuisine, taco stands, BBQ joints, Garifuna and Mestizo restaurants, and of course the resorts that cater to tourists.
There are many delicious things to eat here (though the best of them are made with corn, rice and wheat ? ? ?) and the Chicken Stuffed Jalapeño Popper appetizer is one of my absolute favorites!
The Belize version stuffs a jalapeño pepper with cream cheese like you’re used to, but also seasoned shredded chicken which I’d never seen before. This is an idea I can get behind because not only does it taste amazing, but it bulks up your poppers with protein and makes them more filling and satisfying.
The only thing that keeps the traditional version from being keto friendly is that they dip it in batter and deep fry it into a crispy, pillowy, fritter-like thing. Amazing, but nowhere near low carb or gluten free.
Mr. Hungry and I are back on keto and have taken to peeling off the batter so that we can still order these Chicken Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers when we go out with friends. It works, but it’s not as good if I’m being honest.
So I’ve created a keto friendly version of the Chicken Stuffed Jalapeño Popper that, while not quite as satisfying as batter-fried, still gives you that crispy exterior that makes this feel like cheating – even though it’s completely legal.
And they are baked rather than fried, making them even easier to make in large batches.
I’ve also included some of the flavorings that I use in my very popular original low carb bacon wrapped jalapeño popper recipe, and honestly if you don’t want to mess with the “Breading” you can drape a piece of bacon over these like I do in that recipe and it’s also delicious.
I know, because I’ve made these several times with the bacon instead of the breading and it was always a hit!
Either way, these cheesy low carb Chicken Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers are to die for – perfect as an appetizer for your next party or for some playoff noshing. They are also a great way to use up any leftover turkey you might have lying around!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my FREE 3 day keto kickstart menu planto get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
To get more great recipes for fall or anytime, download my super bundle of FIVE e-books for just $19.99!
- 15 large jalapenos
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, shredded and chopped
- 1/3 cup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 cup pulverized pork rinds
- 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
- Cut 1/3 of top off each pepper and scoop out insides.
- Place the peppers on a plate and microwave 2 minutes to soften.
- Combine, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, chicken or turkey, salsa verde, garlic powder, salt and cajun seasoning in a medium bowl and mix until creamy and well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the jalapeños.
- In a small bowl, combine the pork rind dust and cajun seasoning.
- Gently roll the cream cheese side of the stuffed jalapeños in cajun pork rinds until coated.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.