I have great love for brussels sprouts, but I rarely eat them because I’m the only one in our house who is a fan. One of my favorite ways to prepare them is roasted, as it mellows and sweetens them so beautifully.
This low carb brussels sprouts recipe not only roasts them to perfection, but also pairs them with slightly bitter radicchio and a creamy gruyere-based cheese sauce.
It’s sweet and earthy, but with a complex and mellow bite that lingers only slightly from the pungent radicchio.
We’re taking brussels sprouts to the next level here – for real.
My only complaint about this dish is that is starts out SO BEAUTIFUL with it’s bright greens and purples, and during the cooking process it loses all of that lovely color.
As a solution to this problem, since it’s the perfect dish for company otherwise, I recommend purchasing an extra head of radicchio for serving. I reserved some of the pretty purple leaves which were the perfect size to be a little serving dish.
It added a nice pop of color that really dressed up the plate if that’s important to you. It’s shown with my low carb Pumpkin Bread, Sausage and Feta Stuffing in the photo below.
If you’re entertaining buffet style you can just serve this delicious low carb brussels sprouts recipe in the dish you baked it in and observe what happens – your guests will never see it coming.
It’s kind of fun to watch actually!
These low carb brussels sprouts don’t have a lot going for them in the looks department, but people will usually take a little because they don’t want to seem rude or hurt your feelings.
Then they’ll try a taste and BAM. It will be all gone before you know it, and people will be poking around the kitchen just in case there is more hidden in there somewhere.
It’s that good – I know because it was the favorite of our neighbors when I tested a bunch of side dish recipes on them a couple of weeks ago.
Brussels sprouts for the win! Who knew??? We brussels sprouts lovers, that’s who. And for those of you who hate brussels sprouts, that’s alright – I ain’t even mad…
More for me!
Can’t get enough low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cups radicchio, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Combine brussels sprouts and radicchio in a medium sized baking dish and spread out evenly. Combine cream, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic and heat until the butter is melted.
- Sprinkle shredded Gruyere cheese evenly over the vegetables. Then pour the cream mixture over everything.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 30 minutes or until the brussels sprouts are softened and the gratin is browned and bubbling.
- Serve warm in a raw radicchio leaf for presentation if desired.