Let’s face it – getting our kids (and husbands) to eat healthy can be a challenge. Throw in dietary restrictions like a gluten (or other) intolerance, and it can feel like paddling upstream in class 3 rapids.
One way to make transitioning to a gluten free diet easier is to take familiar beloved foods (like pepperoni pizza) and spin them into a healthier package that’s still recognizable and fun to eat, but compliant to a gluten free (and low carb) diet.
This low carb pepperoni pizza meatballs recipe is not only gluten free, but also keto friendly. In addition, I snuck a secret ingredient in there to boost the healthy factor in this recipe – delivering more nutrient rich veggies to your family without them even knowing it!
The shredded zucchini in these pepperoni pizza meatballs actually makes these lighter and gives a very pleasing texture. I used a typical box grater to shred mine, leaving them on the larger side, but if your kids and/or husbands are really picky I recommend using a smaller shred from a microplane grater.
You’ll get all of the health and texture benefits, but the much smaller pieces will be harder for a picky eater to detect!
There is also chopped pepperoni cooked inside the meatball, then it’s topped with sauce, mozzarella cheese, and another slice of pepperoni on top. Pop it in the broiler until you get that crispy exterior just like a slice of pepperoni pizza and serve.
While it’s not exactly pizza, it’s a delicious and satisfying substitute that is fun to eat and pretty much guaranteed to win over the entire family.
Then if you really want to push these pepperoni pizza meatballs over the top, try serving them alongside my Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole!
- 1 lb. ground beef (80/20)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded raw zucchini
- 1/4 cup pepperoni, chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- To serve:
- 1 cup
- 1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 15 slices pepperoni
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients (except the olive oil) in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 15 meatballs. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan and fry the meatballs until golden brown – about 3 minutes per side. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Place the meatballs in an oven proof dish. Spoon the sauce evenly over each meatball. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese, and a slice of pepperoni. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees, or set under the broiler for 2 – 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pepperoni is getting crisp. Serve hot.