I’ve perfected the technique of catching the tossed shrimp with no hands – though Mr. Hungry can’t be beat when it comes to the sake pour – he never misses a drop! It’s dinner AND a show – what’s not to like?
So obviously I couldn’t wait to introduce Hungry Jr. to his first real Hibachi experience earlier this year. Like me, he thought it was the coolest thing ever and stared in rapt amazement during the entire show. I had more fun watching him than anything else!
What I didn’t expect was that he’d love the food too! He ate the miso soup and even the fried rice, which blew my mind because until then he hated any soup AND any rice. It was definitely a dining milestone in many ways for him – who knew?
This meatball recipe is an ode to my favorite flavors from the Hibachi steakhouse. Since I always order the steak, I used ground beef for this recipe, but you could sub in other meats if you choose. The typical Hibachi veggies are represented by the onions, zucchini and mushrooms on the skewer. The sauce is sweet, salty, and comes very close to the flavors I remember from our last visit – you’ll have to let me know if you think so too once you try it!
Because I was worried about the meatballs sticking to the grill if I put them on the skewers raw, I pre-seared them in a pan just to firm up the outsides a bit before skewering. It worked perfectly and I had no trouble with these sticking during the grilling process.
After searing the meatballs, I threaded all of the pieces onto the skewers. Then I brushed them with the sauce just before grilling.
Once sauced, just throw them on the grill over high heat and cook until the veggies are tender and the meat is done to your liking.
These would be perfect served over my Coconut Lime Cauliflower Rice – just be sure to make some extra sauce to drizzle on before serving!
The Hungry Dudes also approved of this recipe – in fact Mr. Hungry thinks it’s one of my best meatball recipes so far and that’s saying something because I’ve got almost 40 low carb meatball recipes here on IBIH! Which one’s your favorite???
August BPC bundle giveaway
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 small red onion
- 6 medium baby bella (crimini) mushrooms
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and stir will. Form into 18 meatballs. Sear the meatballs in a hot nonstick pan for a minute or two per side until firm enough to skewer.
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Cut the zucchini into 1 inch chunks. Cut the onions into1 inch pieces (it’s ok if the pieces fall apart). Cut the mushrooms in half.
- Thread the meatballs and vegetables onto six long skewers – 3 meatballs, 2 mushroom halves, a few onion sections, and 2 chunks of zucchini per skewer. When all the skewers are assembled, brush liberally with the sauce on all sides. Grill on high heat for about 2 minutes per side, or until the veggies are cooked to your liking and the meatballs are cooked through.