The Food Network
Weeknight Kitchen Project
As you probably already know, it’s not easy in today’s hectic world to come up with healthy dinner recipes that take less than 30 minutes to prepare – and when you’re eating low carb and gluten free, it can be even more challenging!
The recipe I came up with for this post is not only low carb and gluten free, but also easily dairy free (and still fantastic btw) by omitting the top layer of cheese. It’s also family friendly, with ingredients and flavors that even most kids (and picky husbands) won’t object to!
The sausage, spinach, nutmeg, and garlic add a lovely base flavor to the squash, further enhanced by the bright, fresh flavor of the tomato sauce.
Of course this recipe is made even more delicious by adding a generous layer of mozzarella cheese!
To make this low carb dinner recipe even easier, here are a few tips:
1) Cook your spaghetti squash in advance and freeze it in 1 cup portions. Then simply put it in the fridge the morning you plan to make this and go about your day – by the time you get ready to make dinner it should be ready to go.
2) Use frozen chopped spinach in bags – simply shake out the amount you need and thaw in the microwave for 2 minutes – it’s ready to use and just as nutritious as fresh!
3) Make a batch (or more) of keto-friendly marinara sauce in advance. Freeze in 1/2 cup portions and thaw as needed. Don’t have any hand? No problem – use any brand of sugar free store bought marinara sauce in this recipe.
You know what else takes up a lot of time on those busy weeknights? Cleaning up the dinner dishes! Between the prep dishes, serving dishes, and actual dinnerware, that’s a full dishwasher load right there!
You know what I hate even more than washing the dishes? Rewashing them when the dishwasher falls down on the job! That’s why I’ve got my eye on (I’m talking to you Mr. Hungry) one of these amazing GE stainless interior dishwashers with the specially designed jets that will EVEN CLEAN MY BOTTLES – no more bottle brushes required!
If you’re like me and love using Pinterest to plan future projects, why not check out this inspiring collection of boards put together by GE Appliances! Refrigerators, Ranges and Dishwashers – oh my! If this doesn’t motivate you to finally ditch that avocado green fridge you’ve had since the 70’s then I don’t know what will!
For more great recipes made in 30 minutes or less, check out some of the other submissions over on the Food Network’s Weeknight Kitchen page!
Weeknight dinners should be quick and easy for any busy family. GE Appliances can help streamline the kitchen process with their hands-free auto-fill refrigerator, their double oven range, to their 102 jet wash system dishwasher. To see these appliances in action check out GE: Kitchen Reimagined. For more tips on weeknight dinners head over to FoodNetwork Weeknight Kitchen page for recipes, tips, and much more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of GE Appliances. The opinions and text are all mine.
- 2 Italian sausage links
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sugar free marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brown the sausage links in a medium saute pan. Remove and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices, then add the slices back to the pan. Add the olive oil, spaghetti squash, spinach, garlic powder, and nutmeg into the pan and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the marinara sauce in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Spread the sausage and spaghetti squash mixture in a pie plate or 8 inch casserole dish. Top with the hot marinara sauce and shredded cheese (if using). Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve hot.