This Keto Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole is perfect to make ahead for busy mornings or even a fancy brunch with friends! This delicious low carb breakfast casserole hits all my favorite sweet and salty notes!
Typically a Monte Cristo is a ham and Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese sandwich that is then dipped in french toast batter and fried. The cool twist on it is that it’s served with warm maple syrup – so it hits all of the salty and sweet notes that I love.
Since my popular keto cream cheese pancakes recipe tastes so much like french toast, I thought it would make the perfect stand in for the bread portion in this Keto Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole. To keep it easy, I layered all of the ingredients and baked it like a casserole.
Once baked, you simply pour on the warmed sugar free syrup, which soaks into all of the layers. You can serve with additional syrup if you choose.
I particularly like Canadian bacon in this recipe because it’s much heartier and more substantial in texture than deli ham, but just as convenient! I definitely recommend trying it with the Canadian bacon if you can get it.
Because I love a runny egg on almost anything, I also added a poached egg to the top of mine – it was total breakfast bliss. The egg is optional, but I personally will take the egg every time. It’s amazing.
My suggestion is to make this Keto Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole ahead of time and cut into portions. Then when you are reheating the leftovers, simply poach or fry an egg or two that morning to have with it.
If you are short on time or aren’t a fan of eggs, this Keto Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole can also be enjoyed cold if you need breakfast or lunch on the go! Because of the cheese it holds together well and can literally be eaten with your hands and a napkin on your way out the door or even in the car.
Mr. Hungry and Hungry Jr. also really liked this low carb casserole recipe – it will be a staple at our house for the next few months at least. Hope you guys like it too – look for it on an upcoming Keto Menu Plan!
- 3 batches
- 12 oz Canadian bacon
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup , warmed.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish and place a layer of 4 cream cheese pancakes on the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Add a layer of Canadian Bacon, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat 2 more times until you have three layers – the top layer being the cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven and pour the warm syrup evenly over the top.
- Cut into 6 squares and serve.
- Optional – top with a runny poached or fried egg and additional sugar free syrup.