Before I went low carb, nachos were always my favorite “go-to” snack. Perfect with beer (or without), they are great to share (or not) at a casual restaurant with friends, to nosh on while watching a movie on the couch, or just because.
There is no end to what you can add to your nachos (black olives, tomatoes, red onions, scallions, green chilis, guacamole, etc.), but for me, it’s usually about the classics – cheddar cheese, salsa, jalapenos, and lots of sour cream.
So in my quest to turn some of my favorite foods into low carb meatballs, a loaded nachos version was high on the list. Especially since I needed a low carb vehicle to replace the tortilla chips that would normally carry all of that cheesy deliciousness into my face.
I’m thrilled to report that these meatballs worked like a charm, and satisfied all of my loaded nacho requirements!
Notes: I used ground beef since that is a typical nacho topping, but you could easily substitute 80% lean ground turkey in this recipe. To manage the heat, choose a salsa with a spice level that you enjoy – you can omit the jalapenos to tone them down as well. If you like it hot, add a couple of drops of your favorite low carb hot sauce to the meatball mixture.
These are quite nice on their own, but of course SO MUCH BETTER covered in more salsa, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. I’m giving you the nutrition info both “naked” and with toppings, just in case!
Don’t miss these recent favorites, the General Tso’s Meatball, the Caprese Meatball, the Carolina BBQ Meatball, and the Green Chicken Enchilada Meatball, just to name a few! Be sure to subscribe to IBIH so you can get new low carb meatball recipes delivered to your inbox every Monday!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!
All three for just $9.99!
- 1lb. ground beef (80/20)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp prepared salsa (sugar free)
- 1 Tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa (sugar free)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 pickled jalapeno slices
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly, Form into 16 meatballs. Saute in a large nonstick pan until golden brown and cooked through – about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Arrange the meatballs on an ovenproof dish. Top with about 1 tsp salsa, and 1 tsp shredded cheddar each. Place under the broiler for about one minute or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, top each meatball with a dab of sour cream and a slice of pickled jalapeno.