Since traditional potato fries are usually out when you’re on a low carb diet, I’m always looking for alternatives. Though if I’m being honest I do occasionally swipe a couple from my son’s plate. But since eating one or two really just leaves me wanting more, it’s not usually a good idea.
Enter these eggplant “fries.” They satisfy my french fry craving on pretty much every level. Crispy – check. Salty – check. Fun to dip – check! Another added bonus is that they are very kid friendly so it’s a great way to sneak more veggies into your children’s (or husband’s!) diet.
For more delicious recipes check out my e-cookbook, The Gluten Free Low Carber!
- 2 large eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
- Peel the eggplant and cut into strips about 3/4 inch wide and 4 inches long to mimic fries.
- In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs.
- In another medium bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, coconut flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley flakes.
- Start heating your oil in a medium saute pan.
- Soak the eggplant in the egg mixture for a minute or two and then transfer in small batches to the herb & parmesan coating.
- Once coated, cook in small batches in the hot oil, turning once to brown both sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any extra oil.
- Serve with the low carb marinara sauce of your choice for dipping.