Superbowl is coming up in a few days and like most of you, we’re having a few friends over. In the past, classic buffalo wings were a must at our parties, and they are still pretty awesome. But from a logistics point of view, they can be annoying – especially with a large crowd.
Chicken wings are incredibly messy for one thing, and it’s not easy to eat them gracefully. So if you are an unattached woman looking for the man of her dreams, gnawing and slavering over a saucy piece of chicken like a dog on a bone may not be the best game plan. And so there you are, staring longingly at them, but not partaking so you can look all graceful and demure and stuff.
But after a few drinks the three grapes you ate aren’t cutting it, so you cave and resort to sneaking them into the bathroom, where you can attack them in private and hide the bones in your purse.
Or if you are desperate and really, really brave, flushing them down the toilet and praying it doesn’t clog. Or maybe that’s just me…
Anyhoo, all you single ladies rejoice! Behold the buffalo ball – all of the flavors of a buffalo wing, in a low carb, easy to eat package. And they are super good! I may never make wings again!
Ok not really, but I’ll make them when nobody else is coming over, so I can ravage every last piece of meat off of them like a good wing deserves, without a mortified audience looking on in horror! I just giggled out loud picturing that…heh heh….
Anyway, these buffalo chicken meatballs have all the flavor of your favorite classic buffalo wings, with none of the bones, skin or mess.
If you’re like Mr. Hungry, this is a plus, because he doesn’t like the skin and hates eating chicken meat off of the bone!
If you’re a crockpot lover, you can totally form these and place them in the bottom of your crockpot, then pour the sauce over them and cook for about 3 hours on low – viola, buffalo chicken meatballs ready to go!
These have a subtle blue cheese flavor but I love the dressing so I added more and it was awesome! And of course, you must serve with celery sticks to be authentic!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my FREE 3 day keto kickstart menu plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
To get more great recipes for Summer or anytime, download my super bundle of FIVE e-books for just $19.99!
- 1lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp chopped celery
- 3 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. DO NOT ADD SALT!!! The Frank’s is super salty, as is the blue cheese so trust me you don’t need to add more. The mix will be sticky and gooey but that’s normal.
- Form into about 1 inch balls – remember these are cocktail/bite sized so don’t make them too big.
- Place them on a greased cookie sheet (with sides) and bake at 350 degrees (F) for 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine the Frank’s and butter in a small saucepan on medium heat, or place in a microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes on high.
- After 10 minutes, remove balls from oven and dunk carefully (they are tender from the cream cheese and could fall apart if you are too rough) in the buffalo sauce.
- Put back onto the cookie sheet and bake for another 12 minutes. If you have leftover sauce you could pour it over the meatballs and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes if you want them really saucy.