And here it is, finally day seven of my week of low carb posts! Believe it or not, I’m actually going to extend it for a while longer since I’ve got some new recipes that I’m excited to share with you. So stay tuned!
Meanwhile, I found this idea in a magazine (sorry, I can’t remember which one!) at the hairdresser’s the other day. I didn’t tear the recipe out because that’s not how I roll. I hate flipping through a public magazine and finding pages torn out – it’s rude people! I think the magazine recipe used bacon, chives and mozzarella cheese to flavor the “clouds” but I used Chorizo (I’m on my last package I promise!) cilantro, scallions, and Manchego cheese.
I’d never had or made anything like this before, but it was the perfect low carb breakfast idea so I gave it a try this morning. It was a nice change in texture from a plain egg and the flavor was great. I’ll definitely be making these again and experimenting with different add ins. Basically you are whipping the egg whites, adding in the flavoring stuff, putting it on a cookie sheet (greased! I forgot and it was a mess!), make a well in the center and add the yolks. My yolks broke in the bowl and I had to separate new ones so be careful! Then you just bake them for a few minutes so they firm up but obviously not too long or your yolk will harden and that would be very unpleasant!
These are excellent for those of us doing the low carb thing, but also not super high in fat or calories for everybody else! Give them a try, you won’t be disappointed – and get a little crazy and experiment with your own flavors! Let me know how they come out and if you find a great new combo!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces Chorizo
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup finely grated cheese (your favorite)
- Remove the chorizo from the casing and cook thoroughly. It was such a small amount and I was cooking other stuff for the blog on the stove at the time (cauliflower tater tots! What?!? Yeah, that’s right.) and I didn’t want to dirty a pan for that little so I cooked the chorizo in the microwave for 2 minutes and it worked perfectly. I drained out the fat and set the sausage aside.
- Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg whites until stiff. I do it by hand cause I’m so hard core, but if you want to be a wuss about it you could use a mixer. 😉 Then fold in the chorizo, cheese, scallions and cilantro (GENTLY people!) until mixed. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- On a greased cookie sheet, place four spoonfuls of the egg white mixture at least 2 inches apart. Make a slight well in the center and gently place an egg yolk in each one.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for about 6 minutes. Keep an eye on it though, you definitely don’t want to overcook these and miss out on that fabulous runny yolk!
- Garnish with avocado slices and fresh cilantro.