Bangers and mash is a traditional English meal that can become keto-friendly in a snap by substituting Cauliflower Mash for the usual mashed potatoes. Use any type of sausage you prefer, but traditional Italian varieties tend to taste best.
- 8 Italian sausage links
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups sliced onions
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- ¼ cup heavy (whipping) cream Cauliflower Mash for serving
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown the sausage on all sides, cooking for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and butter for about 1 minute. Add the onion. Cook until they brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and sherry (if using) to the onions. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cook to reduce the liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the heavy cream to the onion mixture. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the sausages and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute.
- Plate two sausages with a serving of Cauliflower Mash per person.