Fajitas are a Mexican favorite and are very keto friendly when you remove the carb-laden tortillas they’re usually served with. The serrano pepper adds spice, which can be tempered by omitting it. Pair with low-carb tortillas and sour cream for an authentic flavor.
- FOR THE RUB: 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE STEAK: 1 (1-pound) skirt steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- 3 low-carb tortillas (optional)
- TO MAKE THE RUB: In a bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- TO MAKE THE STEAK: Coat the steak with the rub, massaging it thoroughly into the meat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 1 minute. Add the red peppers, green peppers, jalapeño peppers, serrano peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 6 to 7 minutes, until browned and tender. Transfer the pepper and onion mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Heat on medium-high for 1 minute. Place the seasoned steak into the pan and sear it for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove the steak from the skillet. Set aside to rest for at least 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Heat on medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the peppers and onions back into the skillet. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Slice the steak into ¼-inch-thick strips. Add the steak strips to the skillet with the peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until browned. Add the chopped cilantro. Remove from the heat.
- Serve garnished with a lime wedge and with the low-carb tortillas (if using) or in Cheesy Taco Shells.