This Keto 3 bean salad has all the flavor and texture of the classic, but with substantially lower carbs! Bathed in a lemon dijon vinaigrette, this low carb three bean salad is refreshing and hearty – the perfect keto side dish, it’s also dairy free, nut free, and egg free too!
You’re probably wondering how a salad with beans in it can be keto friendly. I used a combination of fresh green beans, black soybeans (extremely low in net carbs due to the high fiber content) and a small amount of green soybeans (aka. Edamame) which are tasty and relatively low in carbs as well.
The total net carbs in a generous one cup serving of this keto 3 bean salad is only 5 grams. Pair it with some grilled or roasted high fat meats and you’re well within the 7g net carbs per meal that a lot of people strive for on a keto diet.
In all honesty, because this keto 3 bean salad is so hearty, you can absolutely make do with less in a serving size and cut the carbs down even more. But even at 5g for one cup, it’s a worthy keto side dish with phenomenal flavors and hearty, starchy textures that you don’t always get in a low carb side dish either.
I used fresh basil as my herb in this vinaigrette because I made it in the summer time, but you can substitute fresh parsley, dill, or even cilantro if that’s your preference.
I would have loved to add some yellow wax beans for color and make this a 4 bean salad, but I couldn’t find them in our local store. You can absolutely add wax beans though, and they are also low carb with only 3g net per 1/2 cup serving.
I used fresh green beans that I cooked in the microwave for a few minutes to soften, and then shocked them in ice water (blanched) to keep them semi-crisp and bright green – it kept this keto 3 bean salad nice and fresh tasting, which I liked.
That being said, in a pinch you can totally used canned or frozen green beans if that’s what you have on hand – the vinaigrette will mask that canned flavor well enough and you’ll still have a tasty keto side dish on your hands.
- 1/2 cup cooked and shelled green soybeans (edamame)
- 1 cup canned black soy beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Place the green beans in a large, microwave safe bowl and add 1 cup of water.
- Microwave, covered, on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove the green beans and drain them, then transfer them immediately to a bowl of ice water and let chill for 2 minutes.
- Drain the green beans, then add the green soybeans and black soybeans to the bowl.
- Mix to combine.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the 3 bean salad and toss to coat all of the beans with the dressing.
- Serve immediately or chill for one hour if preferred.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!