This sumptuous breakfast is my personal go-to for a lazy Saturday morning when I’m craving something out of the ordinary. Asparagus wrapped in bacon accompanies runny fried eggs to create a unique combination in this dish. I like to enjoy it with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche for additional fat.
- 4 bacon slices
- 12 asparagus spears, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wrap one bacon slice around each bundle of three asparagus spears. Place each bundle on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the garlic, onion powder, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper over the bundles.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the bacon crisps.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Crack the eggs in pairs into the skillet. Try to keep the yolks intact.
- Cook the eggs to your desired doneness, about 5 minutes for a runny egg. Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and the remaining pepper.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven.
- Remove the eggs from the skillet, placing two eggs atop two bundles of asparagus per serving.