These super easy and tasty Five Spice Chicken Skewers are a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy, and have a distinctive Asian flair. You can marinate and skewer these up to a day ahead and then just toss them on the grill for a delicious low carb dinner ready in minutes!
As the weather heats up the outdoor grill becomes an essential tool for cooking fast and delicious summer meals, without turning your kitchen into something straight out of Dante’s Inferno. Plus there is something intrinsically cool about cooking your food over an open flame – or maybe that’s just me. ???
Whether you use a grill for the joy of it or just out of necessity, I’ve got a bunch of great keto grilling recipes coming your way in the next couple of weeks!
I love a great steak as much as the next person, but there are a lot of other fun ways to use your grill to create delicious keto friendly dinner recipes – so I’m going to give you some easy family friendly options to add to your repertoire.
We’ll start with these tasty five spice chicken skewers! Just a few simple, but flavorful keto friendly ingredients turned these Asian inspired grilled chicken skewers into a new family favorite – and as long as they are diligent about washing their hands after handling the chicken, even the kids can get involved in making this one!
If your family isn’t a fan of bell peppers, you can use slices of zucchini, mushrooms, or whatever other keto friendly veggie you like – or you can omit the veggies and just skewer the chicken itself.
In case you need some keto side dish ideas, these 5 spice chicken skewers would go great with my Sriracha roasted broccoli, coconut lime cauliflower rice, and easy keto broccoli slaw recipes!
Finally, this Five Spice Chicken Skewers recipe is dairy free, nut free, egg free, low carb, keto, and Atkins friendly as is – to make them Paleo simply replace the sweetener with an equal amount of honey, and use either fish sauce or coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce.
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my FREE low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2017!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
- 2 lb boneless chicken tenders
- 2 Tbsp granulated erythritol sweetener** (honey for Paleo)
- 2 Tbsp five spice powder
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (or other light oil with a high smoke point)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce, fish sauce, or coconut aminos**
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup red bell pepper pieces for skewers
- optional lime wedges and fresh cilantro to garnish
- 12 skewers
- Slice the chicken thinly on the diagonal into pieces about 2 inches long.
- Combine the sweetener, 5 spice powder, rice vinegar, avocado oil, sesame oil, soy sauce (or fish sauce or coconut aminos) and cayenne pepper (if using) in a medium bowl and stir.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust sweetness or saltiness to your preference BEFORE adding the chicken.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill.
- Thread the chicken and red bell pepper pieces (or other veggies) onto the skewers.
- Grill for 2 -3 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro if desired.