This crowd pleasing keto cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe is so incredibly tasty that nobody will care (or even believe) that it’s low carb and gluten free! A sneaky and delicious way to pack some healthy greens into your family’s dinner menu!
There is a lot of controversy over chicken in the Hungry family. Our preferences vary widely, with Mr. Hungry preferring chicken breast because he’s not a fan of dark meat, Hungry Jr. likes chicken legs, and I prefer the chicken thighs for flavor and texture.
One thing we can all agree on though, is that this keto friendly cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe is AWESOME.
The Hungry dudes aren’t veggie fans either, and even they didn’t mind the spinach in this low carb chicken recipe. Really how can anyone complain – the spinach is bundled in with so much cheese and crispy chicken that you barely notice it!
It’s the stuff keto dreams are made of! ?????
Now I know that some of you are looking longingly at the photos, but already thinking it’s too much work and that you’d never actually make this cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe.
I hope you’ll reconsider! While there are a few steps that need to be taken to get this low carb stuffed chicken breast masterpiece right, none of them are really difficult.
You’ll need to pound out some chicken cutlets to make them thin enough to roll, and that’s probably the most time consuming step. The good news is, you can pound out and stuff these chicken breasts, then freeze them so that you always have them on hand to thaw and cook – so make a big batch and you can have cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts anytime the mood strikes!!
Once you’ve pounded out your breasts, you spoon on some easy filling and then roll them up and press them into an oval shape – then chill for a bit to harden up the center. Bread them, brown them, bake them and then revel in the accolades from family and friends over how delicious they are – and what an awesome cook you are!
This is a totally attainable scenario that will have you winning at domesticity like a boss.
You’re welcome. ?
I served mine with marinara sauce and it was great. Totally comfort food level with an Italian flair.
BUT…I was also thinking that these keto cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts would be amazing with alfredo sauce – can you picture it?!?!? I can taste it in my head, and it’s going to be ???
Honestly they don’t really need a sauce at all if you’re a purist like that – the ooozy cheesy center acts as a sauce all it’s own. Still – smothering chicken in marinara or alfredo is never a bad thing amiright? ?
So put your big girl (boy) pants on, invest in a meat mallet, and pound yourself some chicken breasts! Then you can stuff them with all sorts of delicious low carb fillings – just make sure this keto Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe is first on your list!
Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe Notes:
Because the size of chicken breasts will vary, you may be able to cut 2 huge chicken breasts in half lengthwise to get your four cutlets. Or you can trim and pound out 4 smaller breasts.
Even so, cooking times will vary based on thickness and size. I put in a ballpark baking time of 18-22 minutes which worked for me, but if your breasts are larger (tee hee) you may need to cook them much longer.
To really be safe you should test with a meat thermometer and only remove and serve the chicken after the center reads 165 degrees (F).
Keto Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe Video??
Can’t get enough low carb chicken recipes?!?! Check out this epic list of 65 fantastic low carb and keto chicken recipes I posted last month!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups chopped spinach (raw)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup superfine almond flour **
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- Combine the cream cheese, spinach, garlic, parmesan, mozzarella, pepper, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Trim your chicken of any visible fat or membranes. (If they are really large, you can cut them in half lengthwise and just use two of them for four good sized cutlets once flattened.)
- Place a layer of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Top with one piece of chicken, then another layer of plastic on top to sandwich the chicken in-between them.
- Pound the chicken flat with a meat mallet (starting on one edge and working around and then the center) until it’s about twice the size of when you started, being careful not to pound so thin that it breaks.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
- Spoon 1/4 of the filling mixture into the middle of a chicken cutlet and roll the edges up around it. Turn over and squeeze with your hands until sealed and an oval shape.
- Place seam side down on a cookie sheet and repeat with the other 3 pieces of chicken.
- Chill the stuffed chicken for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Combine the other breading ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a different bowl and stir.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized nonstick saute pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Dip the stuffed chicken into the egg first, then the breading mix and cook in the saute pan until golden brown on all sides.
- Transfer the browned chicken to a baking pan.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 18 – 22 minutes or until a thermometer in the center reads 165 degrees (F).
- Serve with optional marinara or alfredo sauce.